Monday, April 6, 2009

Easter desserts

I'm taking the easy way out today. Rather than posting some recipes, I'm giving some links to some Easter dessert recipes. I've chosen these sites because they give some cool recipes and have some great pictures showing you the finished product or how to cut the cake to look like a bunny.

The first site comes from CountryMom.com with her Easter Bunny Cake.

Next is the Betty Crocker site with their Easter Bunny Cake.

Then I chose the All Recipe website with their page full of Easter Desserts. They have cakes, cupcakes and cookies.

I also found this website called Homemade Dessert Recipes with a lot of Homemade Easter Desserts. I'm going to try one of two from there. I love old recipes.

Saturday they had an Easter Egg hunt down at the community club house. I took Rylie and we went with another couple and their daughter, Rylies friend Caitlin. The girls had a lot of fun, even though they only found one egg each. Apparently, when they let the kids take off for the hunt, the older kids ran through the little kids area and snatched up a lot of their eggs.

So Chris, Caitlins mom, and I decided to have our own little hunt. We bought some little plastic eggs and filled them with treats. Then we hid them in the yard. We told the girls that the Easter Bunny had been going down the street and when he heard they only got one egg each he hid some more eggs. The girls had so much fun.

Of course, on the way home Rylie turned to me and said "The Easter Bunny hopped down the street and left us more eggs? Mom, you left them eggs." I knew she had seen the eggs in that white store bag. So I told her that Chris and I had a few eggs for them, but the Bunny saw us and left a lot more eggs for them. She seemed satisfied with that answer.

I hate to admit it, but I'm really not in the mood to do the big holiday dinner this year. It is such a huge chore for me do all by myself. Everyone else gets to sit around, munch on appetizers or goodies and visit with each other, while I'm busy in the kitchen either cooking or cleaning up by myself.

It's hard because I really enjoy having the whole family together, but it is so much work, a bit expensive and I don't feel like I really get a chance to enjoy it. At least, not until I've spent several hours cooking and prepping, then another 30-45 minutes cleaning up after everyone. Then a lot of the time, the kids have to leave to go to another parents house for dinner before I even get out of the kitchen.

Maybe it is just all the family drama that has gone on this year that has me feeling like not doing it. I don't know, maybe I'm just a burnt out and I'll feel more like doing something the next time a holiday comes up.

I've tried to explain the religous meaning behind this holiday to Rylie but it's a bit hard. She just looked at me like I was making no sense at all. Then she asked me about the Bunny and what kind of things he was going to bring her. Perhaps, the fact that we've gotten so far away from the true meaning of Easter has a bit to do with my lack of desire to host a family dinner. I don't really know, perhaps I think I'm just in a wee bit of a blue mood currently.

Maybe I'll just do a small little dinner for Ray, Rylie and myself. I've already gotten some things to do baskets for Ray and Rylie on Easter morning. I think a nice quiet day for the 3 of us sounds just perfect. Then we can do whatever we want that day without having to worry about entertaining other people. Or cleaning up the house before and after a big get together. Sounds perfect to me.

Have a blessed week.
Hugs!
Jill Marie

No comments: