Thursday, April 9, 2009

Home Remedy -- Headaches

Morning ya'll. Here are a few tips you can try to relieve a headache without medication.

Headache

*Eat 10-12 almonds, the equivalent of two aspirins, for a migraine headache. Almonds are far less likely to upset the stomach.
*Drinking two glasses of Gatorade® can relieve headache pain almost
immediately -- without the unpleasant side effects caused by traditional "pain relievers."
*Hot OR Cold compress applied directly to the area of pain. I've read comments that say hot compress and I've read comments that say ice packs work to relieve pain. I'm going to guess that it depends on the person and what type of headache they have. I remember years ago, my doctor told me to alternate cold and hot compresses for my migraines.
*Drink lots of water. As much as possible, stick to the eight-glasses a day recommended amount of daily water intake. Water cools down the body and so when you feel a major headache, drink up to get rid of it. This relates to the tip to drink Gatorade. Dehydration will cause you to have a headache or hangover. Drinking 6 to 8, eight oz glasses of water a day may help you to avoid the headache and it is just good for you from everything I've heard.
*Watch a funny movie. Laughing is supposed to stimulate the release of serotonin and it is believed to relieve headaches.
*Tension is a major cause of a lot of headaches. Try to de-stress as much as possible. I usually find that my tension headaches start in the back of my neck and go up my head. Find someone to give you a gentle, but firm, shoulder and neck massage. If you've been sitting for a long period of time and feel a headache starting, get up and stretch your muscles a bit.

I've also read that a common problem for women is a headache that comes days before their period. This is usually felt as a pain directly behind the eyes. Some suggest that to get rid of this headache, women should eat foods that are rich in zinc, especially those that come from lean proteins such as lean meats.

I hope this week has treated everyone well. Sunday here is supposed to be sunny and with a high 53 degrees. That would be nice but I certainly won't hold my breath. With my luck it will be overcast, windy and bring a few snowflakes, lol. Oh well, we'll just wait and see. Although I do hope it is warm. Rylie loves to dress up in dress and it would be nice if it were warmer for that.

Speaking of Miss Rylie, she has a dentist appointment today so I better get off here and get some stuff done before I have to get her ready for that.

Have a wonderful Easter weekend.
Hugs!
Jill Marie

1 comment:

Martha said...

Perfect timing on this post, I've been fighting off a migraine for two weeks. I'll try some of these suggestions since nothing else seems to completely get rid of it! Thanks :-)