Monday, November 3, 2008

"Ohhhhh, Chocolate..."--Rylie Jo Lee Nov. 1, 2008

Okay...so here in my lil' house I have been hearing about Christmas, thanks to Ray (the ol' man), since about September 1st. Wee ha...it's been an experience, let me tell ya. He's even gotten Rylie on the kick. I've been hearing, almost daily, since October "when are we gonna start decorating?" Grrrrrr!

I will tell you this, there was a time (many years back) when I was totally "ba-hum-bug" about the holiday. I had lost my Christmas "joy". Never fear though...as I and my "joy" have rekindled our relationship. I do have one rule though...No decorations until November 1st. Yes, I know...that is two months of holiday decor. That's okay though...for me. I don't mind and I really like to have the time to enjoy the holiday and to be able to explain to Rylie what it is really all about.

At this point when I tell her about Jesus and it being his birthday...well, she kind of goes off subject and starts talking about her birthday. I must confess, my youngest child is a bit obsessed with her birthday. Ever since her last birthday she has been telling people that her birthday is "next week". Her birthday is March 26th, and she has been doing this since the first week of April.

ANYWAY...(once again, I've gone totally off my post title topic) I love to celebrate the holiday. So as soon as the little ghost, ghoblins, witches and serial killers finished trick or treating, I began to put away my Halloween decorations. As I went to put them in their proper storage area I looked about and grabbed a few Christmas decorations. I thought, "Won't this surprise my sweet cheeks?" He was over visiting his brother, so I gave him a call and when he came to the phone I began singing to him "Have a holly jolly Christmas..." LOL

So Friday night I began my Christmas decorating. Oh, it's not all done. That will take quite a while. Daddy still has to put up all his lights. Almost every room gets covered with lights around here. Yeah...uh, I don't worry about that. I am not on the light crew, lol. We still have to put the tree up too. I'm doing that a little earlier this year because David leaves for Basic this month. ((((sigh))))

Saturday night I started thinking about all the baking that was coming up and decided to get started. So I went into the kitchen with my wee helper, Rylie, and began with Molasses Cookies. It's always fun to listen to Rylie while "we" bake. She say's the cutest things..."Did your mommy bake with you?" "Did she teach you like you're teaching me?" "When I grow up, I'm gonna do this just like you do." She's too cute.

So I had her mixing the dry ingredients with a fork while I was mixing the wet ingredients. I got the bowl of dry ingredients and began slowly pouring it into the wet mixture. I was doing this when I heard "Ohhhhhh, Chocolate..." then the sounds of spitting and "yuck". LOL

Oops. Rylie had seen the measuring cup that I had used for the molasses and thought it was chocolate. Yeah...gross! I told her that not everything you see is what you might think it is, and that is why you need to ask before you go putting anything in your mouth. I'd like to think she learned her lesson...but she is her fathers child...enough said. LOL

Anyway, we finished mixing the cookies and put them in the fridge until Sunday. On Sunday I baked a few for Rylie and Daddy, but I rolled the rest, dipped them in sugar and put them on a baking pan in the freezer. When they were firm, I labeled a freezer bag and put them in there. Then I can pull them out as I need to and bake them.

So...finally....here is a recipe for you.

Molasses Cookies

1 C. white sugar
3/4 C. softened butter, shortening or margarine
1/4 C. natural (unsulphurated) molasses
1 egg

Mix these ingredients well. Then add the following:

2 C. flour
2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ginger
1/4 tsp. cloves

Mix well, but do not over mix. Chill the dough. Roll into 1 inch balls and roll in sugar. Bake for 10-12 minutes in a 375 degree oven.


Have a great day and don't forget to get out and VOTE tomorrow!
Jill Marie

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

These sound so good! Thank you so much for stopping bye my blog and adding me to yours I read the post about me?... I dont mind at all lol I guess sometimes we have to put others before areselfs and I am learning it is ok... as I write I relize this is my life and I wouldnt change it for the world so if I do come last sometimes its OK HAVE A BLESSED DAY!!! Kat:)

Sage Ravenwood said...

Finally someone who is worse than I am about the holidays...by the way I'm showing Paul this post. Although I do reign myself in and wait till Thanksgiving weekend to do the tree honors.
I'll have to try the molasses cookies. I'm with Rylie yuck on the straight up molasses!

I do understand wanting David to enjoy the tree before he heads out. Skye was here overnight for a few nights. I think she's a bit lonely with her husband gone. At the moment he's in Mississippi held over until after Christmas, then he's off to Iraq.(Hugs)Indigo