Thursday, October 16, 2008

Home remedy--Blood Pressure (low & high) advice

Blood Pressure

Low BP

Drink a glass of raw beetroot juice 2 times a day, for at least a week.

Medical advice for hypotension:
Try a tight squeeze. Studies have shown that relatively simple physical actions that momentarily elevate blood pressure can offset hypotension. Squeezing an isometric handgrip before getting up, for example, can increase blood pressure enough to counter the momentary dip it takes upon standing.
Do some mental math. More amazingly, the researchers who documented the handgrip effect found that doing complex mental arithmetic (try counting backward from 100 by sevens as fast as you can) elevated blood pressure and offset hypotension even better than physical activity.
Eat smaller, more frequent meals. If you typically experience hypotension after meals, try eating smaller, more frequent meals throughout the day. Also, find out how much salt and fluid intake your doctor recommends. Restricting them may contribute to hypotension.
Sleep on a slant. The way you sleep may also be important in helping control hypotension. Try sleeping with the head end of your bed elevated 8 to 12 inches above the foot end (use concrete building blocks). On rising, sit up slowly and dangle your feet over the edge of the bed for a few moments before standing.

High BP

Mix 1/2 onion juice and 1/2 honey. Take 2 tbls once a day for 1-2 weeks.

Eat 1 Papaya on an empty stomach daily for a month. Do not eat anything after for about 2 hours.

Medical advice for hypertension:
Watch your weight. Even with relatively minor amounts of weight loss, one can see a measurable fall in blood pressure.
Cut down on alcohol. Because the connection between alcohol consumption and high blood pressure has been well documented, people with hypertension should limit their alcohol consumption.
Shake the salt habit. The link between sodium and high blood pressure has never been proven beyond doubt. But what is known is that a salt-sensitive subset of hypertensives probably exists, and you may be one of them.
Potassium, please.
Research show that ..."If you're on a low-salt diet and getting 2 grams of sodium (2 grams of sodium equals 5 grams of table salt) per day, then you should get 6 grams of potassium."
Aerobic exercise. While numerous studies have shown the beneficial effects of aerobic exercise on high blood pressure, the primary advice for hypertensives is to proceed with caution. Think vegetarian. Studies have shown that vegetarians have lower blood pressure than the general population—10 to 15 mm Hg. lower for both systolic and diastolic pressures.
"Take one dog and call me in the morning." Pliny, the Roman writer and philosopher, first wrote that prescription (or something close to it) centuries ago, but modern science is showing that it's a valid treatment for high blood pressure. (That's my oldest daughter, Samantha)>>>


Good Morning lovelies! I feel so much better today. I got a wee bit of a cat nap last night while Ray and I were watching "Ghost Hunters" (I think I have a small crush on Grant) that we had saved on the dvr. Then I went to bed an hour early, yes...I missed the debate. I'm hoping that Ray dvr'ed it for me. Then I slept in by almost an hour this morning. I think that a total of 10 hours better have caught me up. 10 hours...ugh...I actually slept away ten whole hours of my life. That makes me feel lazy just to read it. Well, what's done is done and I have a lot to do today so I better get on with things.

I hope this wee bit of information about blood pressure is useful to someone. As someone who has chronic hyperstension it makes me feel a bit deprived. Look at what those with hypotension have to do: squeeze something or do some math before standing up, sleep on a slant and eat more often. While those of us with hypertension have to lose weight, stop drinking, stop eating salt (goodbye pickles and mild peppers), exercise, stop eating meat and get a dog! Sheesh!

Life just isn't fair. I don't want to give up my mild peppers and pickles. Yet I know how very bad they are. When I was preggers I loved eating mild peppers. I craved them badly, just talking about them...mmmm, I can't taste them now. Anyway, I would buy a jar of them and eat the whole danged jar in just one day, practically one sitting. Then I would keep the juice and go in and drink it. YUM!

Then evening came and...well, can ya picture an elephants leg? Yeah, that's about what my leg looked like from the ankle to my knee. It was not pretty and it hurt something bad. Ladies, the water retention during PMS ain't nothing compared to what happened to me. But it was that awful terrible craving. The next week...I decided that maybe it was just a coincidence and it was probably okay to get my peppers again, I'd eat them more sparingly.

Yeah right! Just eating one? Yeah at a time. I went back and opened that frig enough times to empty that darn jar. Well, at least I got a bit of exercise from the walk to and from the frig. What? I'm trying to be optimistic here.

Speaking of peppers and pickles (mmm, I want some now), I scared myself a wee bit yesterday. I was making scrambled eggs for Rylie and myself. I got her's done and settled her down to eat and started to make some for myself. I was standing there thinking about adding ham and cheese when I suddenly had this strange thought to add chopped pickles. Yeah, gross right? But I actually considered it and that's what scared me. When the heck is Auntie Flo suppose to make her visit? Luckily, my favorite auntie showed up and made my day. She was such a sweetie to come a day or two early and reassure me.

Well, hm...I did it again. I rambled my way from blood pressure to pickles and peppers to Auntie Flo. I never cease to amaze myself. I'm just a special kind of gal like that, I suppose.

Take care!
Jill Marie

No comments: