Monday, October 20, 2008

Removing crayon from walls cleaning tip

We have a pretty busy day tomorrow, starting at 8 am with a dental appointment. So I figured I better get on here tonight and make my regular Tuesday cleaning tip entry early. So for those of you with "art loving" wee ones like mine, here are several tips for removing crayon from the walls.

Removing Crayon on Walls or Washable Wallpaper

Spray with WD-40®, then gently wipe, using a paper towel or clean cloth. If the mark is stubborn, sprinkle a little baking soda on a damp sponge and gently rub in a circular motion. If the WD-40® leaves a residue, gently wipe off with a sponge soaked in soapy water; rinse clean; blot dry. Another method is to use a hair dryer - it heats the wax and wipes away instantly. If the color remains, like red usually does, wet a cloth with bleach and wipe.

Toothpaste (regular paste–not gel). This one’s my first pick always (good old regular Crest), it also helps clean up permanent marker stains pretty easily.

Baking Soda - make a paste with water and use it to gently scrub the mark. You could also just sprinkle baking soda on a damp sponge and rub.
Baby Oil - apply directly to crayon stains then rub off.

Mayonnaise - Glob some on the stain and scrub a bit in a circular motion, then wipe off.
Shaving Cream - apply to markings, rub in, then wipe off.

Ammonia - soak a section of cloth in household ammonia and scrub markings. You may also luck out with an ammonia based cleaner like Windex and a hot soapy cloth.

Vinegar - soak a toothbrush in white vinegar and scrub marks off.

Hand Lotion - rub directly into crayon and wipe off.

Powdered Dishwasher Detergent - make a paste with water and gently scrub area. Some detergents contain bleach so be careful on wallpaper.

Powdered Household Cleaners - such as Ajax or Comet. Mix with some water or sprinkle on a damp sponge then scrub gently.

Non-stick Cooking Spray - just spray it on then wipe off the marks. Not the best solution for wallpaper since this could leave a grease stain.

Hairspray - spray generously on walls then scrub off the crayon.

Mr. Clean Magic Eraser - go gently, you don't want to rub off any paint.

Rubbing Alcohol - Saturate part of a clean cloth then rub stains.

Moist Baby Wipe Towelettes - Rub them directly on the crayon stains and scrub markings off.

You'd be amazed at the things baby wipes are good for. I try to keep them in my car, as I mentioned before, and in the house. I've heard that they are good for removing grease stains from carpet.

Now, I've used Rubbing alcohol to remove ink (yep, my lil' artist again) from the walls. I think I tried it on crayon and I don't remember it working all that well. However, I've read that a lot of people had great success with the toothpaste removing crayon marks from walls. And toothpaste is something we all have around the house. I hope ya'll got some anyway. LOL

Well, have a wonderful Tuesday and say a prayer for my peace of mind about a quarter after 8 tomorrow morning. Rylie has been getting better, but sometimes she likes to be a pistol at the dentist.

Take care,
Jill Marie

No comments: